Christopher F. Bejado president and directory of hospitality at Marianas Slingstone Inc. – which does business as PROA – has taken top honors at the 2013 Small Business Person of the Year awards ceremony.
The event which is sponsored by the U.S. Small Business Administration honors entrepreneurs who have established themselves as leaders in the small business community. In a recent press release SBA Guam Branch Manager Kenneth Lujan praised and congratulated all of this year’s participants. “Small businesses drive Guam’s economy creating jobs and opportunities for the island in every sector across the island region “” said Lujan “”The SBA is very proud of the vital role it plays in enabling Guam’s entrepreneurs to succeed. We are excited to be able to recognize a few of these great success stories during these economic times.””
Bejado’s passion for local cuisine culture and community has culminated in his being selected as this year’s top honoree. In spite of this honor Bejado still maintains that one of his proudest accomplishments is being able to provide employment and career opportunities for local youth and he stresses the importance of taking the time and opportunity to nurture employees’ interests and keep them passionate about what they do.
Bejado said he also believes that giving back to the community is a priority of any small business owner having contributed a great deal of his time and resources to organizations like the Guam Humanities Council the Guam Educational Radio Foundation and the American Cancer Society.
The other awardees at the ceremony were:
– Eduardo R. Ilao president of Johndel Inc. which does business as JMI Edison – Jeffrey Butland Family-Owned Small Business of the Year.
– Patricia B. Salas vice president and business development manager of Bank of Guam – Financial Services Champion of the Year.
– Anita Borja Enriquez D.B.A. principal and owner of Strategic Organizational Solutions dean of the College of Business and Public Administration at the University of Guam – Women in Business Champion of the Year.
– Frederick J. Horecky proprietor and managing attorney Law Offices of Horecky & Associates – Minority Small Business Champion of the Year.
– Ronald M. Young co-founder and secretary/treasurer of Security Title Inc. – Entrepreneurial Success of the Year.