BY MAUREEN N. MARATITA
While certain military construction projects have seen delays, those cannot be attributed to COVID — but to protests, lack of funding and other speedbumps.
The Guam BOS contract
One of the most famous (or infamous) of the contracts awarded on Guam is the Base Operating Support services contract, historically the largest of BOS contracts.
Originally awarded to DZSP 21 in 2005, the contract proceeded along until it was re-awarded to DZSP in 2014. Since then it has been bedeviled by protests, including a claim for injunctive relief by DZSP in the Court of Federal Claims after an award to Fluor Federal Solutions LLC in 2017 and the current trail of bridge contracts while the contract is awarded after a re-solicitation.
Naval Facilities Engineering Pacific is about to solicit and award the sixth bridge contract, as the $60.18 million fifth extension of six months awarded in February expires Aug. 31.
According to Journal sources, that bridge contract is expected to have a base period of three months from Sept. 1 until Nov. 30 and a potential option period of three months from Dec. 1 until Feb. 28, 2021.
A number of functions or annexes are said to be removed from the BOS contract, including ordnance operations, environmental compliance and logistics at Andersen Air Force Base (which include materials management) and could see some small business awards. The U.S. Small Business Administration has previously advocated for that (See “A slice of the pie” in the March 4, 2019 issue of the Journal.).
Final proposal revisions for the actual award were due May 20 at NavFac Pacific. Were the BOS contract to be awarded this year, a 90-day transition is expected before a performance start date.
Krista Cummins, director of public affairs for NavFac Pacific declined to comment on the timing of the upcoming bridge contract or the BOS contract award, but did say in a June 26 email to the Journal, “There are no concerns with interruption of base operating services for Joint Region Marianas.”
Tinian Divert Airfield
The Commonwealth Ports Authority, the Northern Mariana Islands government and the U.S. Department of Defense signed a 40-year lease agreement worth $21.9 million for the project in May 2019, according to Journal files. The Record of Decision for the Divert Activities and Exercises Environmental Impact Survey was signed in December 2016.
Delays on the airfield work are due to the original design being overbudget, according to Kimberly King-Hinds, chairperson for the Commonwealth Ports Authority board of directors.
She told the Journal in February, “Construction is supposed to begin next year, but I don’t see that happening.”
There are a variety of deadlines for work on the $350 million Tinian Divert Airfield under what is called Phase I. These include
- Cargo Pad with Taxiway Extension and Maintenance Storage Facility
Bids were due June 16 and were previously due June 2, according to Journal files.
Both Black Construction Corp. and Kiewit Infrastructure West Co. sought sub-contractors for the projects. According to Journal sources, there were three bidders.
NavFac Pacific and the Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 5 Seabees coordinated a May virtual site visit, according to a June 18 release from NavFac Pacific.
The latest projections by NavFac Marianas show work being awarded in the first quarter of fiscal 2021.
- Airfield Development and Apron
The requests for proposals are due Aug. 6 with NavFac Pacific. According to Journal files, estimated amounts for these projects are $109 million for airfield development and $98 million for the parking apron.
- Fuel Pipeline and Tank Installation
No request for proposals has yet been issued.
One of the long-awaited multiple award construction contracts or MACC contracts has proposals due within weeks.
The $990 million Mamizu MACC is due Aug. 6 and is for Government of Japan-funded projects in Guam and other areas “under the cognizance of NavFac Pacific.” This is “limited to offerors selected to participate in Phase Two” of the selection process, according to the solicitation, though the solicitation said that Phase 1 offerors may be contacted. Five bidders will be selected based on technical approach, experience and past performance for a 12-month base period and four potential 12-month options and will compete for task orders between $10 million and $200 million.
A sources sought notice was posted on Nov. 20, 2018 for the Mamizu MACC, which the solicitation said “may result in the award of a minimum of three firm-fixed price MACC contracts” The scope of work includes renovation, additions/upgrades and new construction.
Other RFPs and awards for a variety of military projects are in the pipeline.
For a detailed list of MilCon work, see “Military construction proceeding right along,” in the May 11 issue of the Journal at www.mbjguam.com. mbj